By: Elizabeth Lee
Unrealistic standards of beauty and the pressure to present ourselves a certain way has made us become our worst critics. As well as trends that are rapidly changing where it is almost impossible to keep up. We constantly want to be “better” or to have more; nothing is ever good enough.
“There is always more than what meets the eye.” This is one of my favorite sayings because it holds so much meaning. Often we judge and pay attention to what we see. Insecurities are at their highest due to social media and our innate ability to compare ourselves to other people. This has taken a toll on the way we view the world and ourselves. But there is so much more to a person than their appearance. There is so much to you than your appearance.
This is a reminder to forgive and accept yourself for who you are, because you are and were always enough. Rather than focusing on what you see online, focus more on what you feel inside. There is no perfect way of being! We all come from different backgrounds and experiences that have shaped us to who we are today. Learning how to accept all parts of yourself is the key to living a full and happy life.
GUIDE: 3 Ways to Love Yourself
- Step out of your comfort zone in terms of beauty and fashion. Expressing yourself through your style can help you build your overall confidence. Dress for yourself, and no one else.
- Try different styles and looks that YOU like. Dress without thinking about what other people will think. Focus on pleasing yourself instead of thinking “what will others think of me if I look like this?”
- MAKE-UP! Make-up is an amazing way to express your personality. I know this might be hard because we all come from different backgrounds and cultures that may have a certain beauty standard, but stepping out of what’s expected and stepping into what you see as beautiful will help you embrace who you truly are.
- Try a hairstyle/color that you never thought you would try! This is a great way to see what works for you because you will never know unless you try. Hair grows back.
Express yourself the way you want in fashion and beauty because it makes you happy! The goal here is to make ourselves happy first. This way we will be able to live happier lives with one another in harmony while expressing our individualities.
2. Living for yourself.
- Making decisions for yourself may sound redundant, but oftentimes we may not realize we are not living for ourselves. An example of this could be choosing a profession or passion you enjoy for yourself, not for others such as family and friends. This means you do what you love, even if friends and family may not agree.
The truth is you cannot please everyone, so start with yourself. Setting boundaries with others is important because sometimes our cultures and backgrounds may restrict us from being who we fully are and how we want to live.
3. Check in with yourself.
- While you’re working incredibly hard on loving yourself and finding out what works for you, do not forget to make time for self-care. Self-care is so underrated. We are so busy and caught up in our everyday lives we neglect our mental, emotional, and physical health. Take days off where you do things that bring you rest, joy, and comfort. Whether it’s lounging all day, going for a hike, taking a bath, going for a walk, binge watching Netflix. Leaving room for breaks in the daily grind helps your overall health.
- Loving yourself on bad days means not denying your progress because you are not perfect. There will be highs and lows, and we have to accept that. Embrace both the success and the struggle. Our lows do not define us, and it does not take away from our progress.